|Policy No.:||7-5||This policy applies to:|
|Policy Name:||Revised Positions||
Department heads should notify Human Resources of any and all situations in which:
- job band assignments based on job classification appear to be out of line with other subordinate jobs,
- jobs in their area of responsibility have undergone significant changes in accountability or responsibility
- the supervisor has experienced difficulty in hiring qualified individuals because of the salary range guidelines,
- unacceptable or unusual job turnover has occurred which may be due to salary range guidelines, or
- existing salary guidelines would, in the supervisor’s judgment, result in over/underpaying an individual employee.
Department heads will notify the Director of Human Resources by submitting a Position Re-Classification Form to request that the position be reviewed for appropriate banding.
In cases where the department head disagrees with the resulting band assignment, he/she can appeal to the Vice President for Finance & Administration. Approval of the Vice President for Finance & Administration is required for any change increasing a band assignment higher than two bands or any change involving a significant number of employees.
Classification Review Cycle
Jobs tend to change very gradually in ways that are often unnoticed by those directly involved, and department heads often fail to request job reclassification when it is needed. The Human Resources Department will routinely inquire about changes in job responsibilities in addition to conducting annual surveys.